Blue Tree Acoustics Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) #4


Do the requirements of Approved Document E / Part E apply to care homes, hotels, student flats etc?


Approved Document E states that the sound insulation requirement now includes rooms for residential purposes as well as dwelling houses and flats.

" Room for residential purposes " means a room, or suite of rooms, which is not a dwelling-house or flat and which is used by one or more persons to live and sleep in, including rooms in hotels, hostels, boarding houses, halls of residence and residential homes but not including rooms in hospitals, or other similar establishments, used for patient accommodation.

Care homes are may be deemed closer to hospitals in some situations, but generally they are more similar to residential homes and therefore the standards should apply.

last question
next question

Copyright 2010 © Blue Tree Acoustics, Energy and Acoustic Consultancy, Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, London, UK

Listed in the YFS business directory in the Acoustic Consultants Sheffield category

Blue Tree Acoustics